Robert Pattinson is Batman? Fans are NOT Happy
It seems Matt Reeves’ upcoming Warner Brothers film, The Batman, has all but cast their Bruce Wayne. Robert Pattinson appears to have been given the nod over a speculated field that included Nicholas Hoult, Jack Reynor, Alexander Ludwig, Jack O’Connell, Armie Hammer, Jon Hamm, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson. While nothing is official, it seemed all but a done deal Thursday afternoon that Pattinson would be tapped on the shoulder to dawn the cowl and play Batman; the single most iconic superhero (sorry Superman) in cinematic history.
The collective heckles from fanboys and fangirls alike could be heard from the comfort of keyboards around the globe as the news hit. There is so much frustration over this news that there have already been multiple petitions across various platforms calling for a Batcave eviction before Pattinson even moves in.
It is easy to see why fans of the franchise are skeptical. Ben Affleck’s Batman was not nearly as successful as WB had hoped in the DC Extended Universe. Many called the casting of Affleck a mistake when that news broke, so fans want to be heard this time around. While Affleck played the role of Bruce Wayne well, his iteration of Batman was dubbed a letdown. The lack of success of Batman V. Superman and Justice League seemed to prove fans right, and they’re making noise.
Here is why the casting of Pattinson is a good move.
- With some time in the gym, he physically fits the mold. He isn’t necessarily the bulky, brooding figure that Ben Affleck brought to the character; however, he is fit, he has a strong jawline, and he has that mysterious smolder.
- He has a surprisingly eclectic resume. He has 37 acting credits since 2004. Only five of them are Twilight. If he brings any of his acting chops from Good Time (2017), then this casting could be surprisingly incredible.
- Fans were in a similar uproar over Michael Keaton when he was cast as Batman AND Heath Ledger when he was cast as the Joker. They were wrong.
Here is why the casting of Pattinson is a nightmare.
- The Twilight Saga: New Moon
- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2
At the end of the day, it is easy for fans to sit back and complain about this casting, but we have been wrong before. The casting decision is not a done deal, and WB will definitely take a look at the backlash before locking everything in, but what do we have to lose? Pattinson has paid his dues and he is a talented actor. If you have not seen his performance in Good Time, you need to. It makes the decision a bit more palatable.
If we are being honest, a good Batman has so much more to do with the story than the actor. Christian Bale was incredible as The Dark Knight, but Christopher Nolan’s take on the franchise would have been successful with a handful of other actors. The success of Robert Pattinson will be more on Matt Reeves’ interpretation and vision of the story than it will be on whether Pattinson can fill the role.
What do you think about the casting? Who would you rather see under the cowl? Let us know in the comments!